April 24, 2020
Today 1.500 competitors from 53 countries were supposed to come together on the game floor of the Italian Showdown.
Unfortunately, the unknowable has happened and the entire world is still locked down. We have been hit hard and many of us are experiencing exceptional struggles. But we are not defeated, because we are a Community, strong and united in this time of isolation and uncertainty.
The event is not cancelled, it’s just postponed to a later date.
- Current athlete registrations are valid for the next date. Athletes who won’t be able to participate on the new date, will have the opportunity to pass their slot to other competitors and get their money back. Athlete registrations are not refundable, as clearly stated in the Rulebook that every registrant has accepted in full.
- Spectator tickets sold so far will be valid for the next date. Spectators who won’t be able to attend the event on the new date, will be refunded. No refund is possibile at this time from Eventbrite, because the event is postponed. When the new date will be set, spectator tickets refunds will be possible.
We are all looking forward to seeing you on the game floor as soon as possible.
We’ll be back, stronger than before.
March 13, 2020
We are sorry to announce that CrossFit HQ has reexamined this developing situation and, in the absence of a live competition, will not be extending CrossFit Games invites based on the results of the on line challenge previously agreed.
Yesterday it seemed that we found a joint solution to overcome the need to postpone the live event. Today we hear that this is no longer an option and that most of the other Sanctionals have just been postponed too.
This communication leaves us disappointed and frustrated. But we also understand that the situation is changing day by day and that we must adapt quickly. In just the last 48 hours, seven Sanctionals have been postponed, so this is way bigger than us and this is the time to stand up and take the right decisions, even if they are hard.
On our side we confirm our full cooperation with the CrossFit Games team and with all the other Sanctionals. This is the time to stand together for the good of the Community. This is the time to take care of our families and protect the most vulnerable people.
The Italian Showdown will take place live with the same format and in the same location as originally planned, but at a later date yet to be defined. All the registration fees and spectators tickets are valid for the new date. The fun is not cancelled, it’s just postponed.
March 11, 2020
The Italian Government has placed the entire country on lockdown
This is going to have a hard hit on all of us, both on the everyday life side and on the financial side: not only all the sport events are suspended nationwide, also all the gyms are closed and we are all recommended to stay at home.
At this stage there is no guarantee that the situation will change soon, so there is no reason to wait any longer to make a decision. Running the Italian Showdown in April is not an option, not even postponing it to July. Health comes first.
We are responsible for the safety of all the participants, but we feel also obliged to guarantee the right to compete to all the athletes in search of the invite to the 2020 CrossFit Games. With this two principles in mind, we have worked with CrossFit HQ and with our partners to find a solution.
The 2020 Italian Showdown will take place on line
ALL THE REGISTERED ATHLETES WILL BE ABLE TO PARTICIPATE WITHOUT TRAVELING, STAY SAFE AND COMPETE FOR THE INVITE TO THE GAMES. THE ITALIAN INVITE WON’T BE WASTED AND ALL THE PODIUM FINISHERS OF EACH AGE DIVISION WILL BE REWARDED.
But there is more!
- All the registered athletes will retain the right to compete again, as soon as the situation will be safe.
- The LIVE edition of the Italian Showdown will take place with the same format and in the same location as originally planned, but later this year.
- All the registered athletes will be automatically admitted completely free of charge. Also the spectator tickets will be maintained.
- Thanks to the collaboration with Promhotels Riccione, our partner hotels guarantee the cancellation of the bookings with no penalty.
We are all looking forward to seeing you on the game floor as soon as possible. The fun is not cancelled, it’s just postponed!
We will soon release all the details about the on line competition…
Stay safe, stay strong!